Sunday, December 22, 2013

Some Two Tone Action on a Buffet and Dining Room Table

A popular trend in furniture is two-tone. This can be accomplished in a couple ways, one by using two different paint colors or with what I have done, one part stained wood and one part painted wood.

I love this look on furniture. I have seen it done a few ways, one leaving the drawers stained and the body painted, or the reverse the drawers painted and the body stained or how I did it, the top stained and the body painted.

Lucky for me I was able to work on a project like this while in Houston over Thanksgiving.  Here is the before of the buffet. I think it was beautiful to begin with, but my client wanted a Refurbished with Love furniture facelift.

buffet table before
The buffet was a rich dark walnut color. 

before

before

For those of you who would like to try this, I came have a couple of tips that should help you if you decided to venture out and create your own two tone piece of furniture. 

Some helpful tips: Make sure the pieces that are stained wood are rich with color and unscratched. So take the extra time to sand out all dings and blemishes. 

Also, do your painting first! This way if you make any mistakes or get paint on areas you wanted stained, simply sand them out.  Remember painters tape is our friend!



Finally, before you begin staining the wood cover the painted areas with plastic. Take that extra time, because if stain splashes on to the painted parts it does not come out. 

Once you are done hopefully you will have a piece of furniture you love.  And I do love this one!

refurbished top after


buffet after

close up on side

close up on distressing detail


lightly distressed



Good luck and I would be happy for you to share any project you have done like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment