Sunday, July 31, 2011

Obsession of the Week

I found my latest decorative obsession during my trip home when I went visit my family in Houston. My sister recently remodeled her kitchen and purchased new living room furniture. When I was there I fell in love with the changes she made to some of her existing furniture, when she added a decorative glaze to them. The biggest transformations were with the fireplace mantel and the kitchen table. Both pieces were originally a dark mahogany wood.

mantel scroll

pedestal bottom of kitchen table
As you can see decorative glazing and paint were used to create this aged and distressed look. My sister did not do this herself; it was done by her decorator. I have done some intense research and want to recreate this look myself on this end table.


I originally bought this table to refurbish it as a new seat for my dog because right now she sits on my ottoman and I want it back. However, I have decided against using this table because it's too high for her to climb. Moreover, once I started working on the table I didn't like the finish I chose and put the table on the back burner. But now that I have seen this decorative glaze on my sister's furniture I love it! I think it will look great on this end table with it's trim and corner pieces. Once I finish my kitchen cabinets I will tackle this project!

No comments:

Post a Comment